Thirty prisoners from Parnall Correctional Facility in Jackson are being treated for food poisoning-like symptoms after maggots were found near the food service line.
Michigan Department of Corrections spokesman Russ Marlan says prisoners, on Friday, discovered fly larvae and maggots in small cracks around the food service line where the sneeze guard protects the food.
He says the cracks should have been filled with caulk to prevent incidents like this from happening, but it hadn't.
As of Sunday, 30 prisoners reported gastrointestinal symptoms, which included diarrhea, vomiting and headaches.
The state contracts food services out to Aramark Correctional Services, which is also charged with maintaining the equipment. Aramark spokeswoman Karen Cutler says there is no medical or scientific data connecting any of these illnesses.
Marlan says prison officials cannot connect the illnesses to the discovery of the maggots at this time, but he has concerns that maggots were found in the first place, saying it is a "significant sanitary issue."