HOLLAND TOWNSHIP, Mich. -- Ottawa County Sheriff's investigators say deputies took a suspect into custody in connection with a triple stabbing in Holland Township. But then, released him because no formal charges have been filed yet.
It happened around 7:40 p.m. Thursday night in the Leisure Estates on Butternut Drive, north of James Street.
OCSO Captain Jacob Sparks told WOOD Radio a 52-year-old man, Darrell Sandusky of Park Township, was fatally stabbed. He said an autopsy confirmed it was a homicide.
A 24-year-old man was critically injured and a 55-year-old woman suffered minor injuries.
Deputies were initially dispatched to the scene on a domestic disturbance call in the home.
"And upon arrival at the scene, deputies determined that three subjects had actually been stabbed," he said.
A knife was the weapon.
Sparks said a 25-year-old man was taken into custody for a while, but released because no formal charges have been submitted.
"Investigators are working right now to determine the exact circumstances around the stabbing and figure out what led up to it," he said.
He added that the sheriff's office initially received a 911 call from inside the home about the disturbance. It wasn't until deputies arrived on the scene that they found out what had happened.
"When deputies arrived, they found in fact that numerous people had been stabbed or received injuries," he said. "And they quickly pieced everything together. Got here, locked it down very quickly and then investigators took it from there in trying to get the answers."
The people involved all knew each other.
"There were both people who lived in the home and people who came from outside the home that were involved in this incident," Sparks said. "So, they were all known to each other and related in some way or affiliated with each other. But some of them lived at the home and some of them did not."
The police investigation continues.
###